Sometimes your interior design options can seem limited when you’re renting an apartment. In reality, the challenge of apartment design can spark incredible creativity and innovation — here are ten of our favorite interior design quotes to inspire your ideas.
1. “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.” — Leonardo da Vinci / Artist and Overall Brilliant Person
Living in an apartment and/or small space often requires you to get back to basics — when there’s no room for clutter, simplicity must rule. Take a look at the new trend in design for small spaces, minimalism.
2. “For a house to be successful, the objects in it must communicate with one another, respond and balance one another.” — Andre Putman / Interior Designer
Similar to the quote above, living in an apartment can make you more selective about the objects you allow into your home. We keep this design principle in mind when laying out apartments and installing fixtures.
3. “Measuring and laying out the room in advance can save you a lot of headaches.” — David Bromstad / Interior Designer
This one speaks for itself. Know your measurements!
4. “Punches of color keep a room feeling youthful and engaging.” — Christina Murphy / Interior Design Expert
This goes for paint and objects — at The High Grove, we allow residents to choose from a color palette for accent walls. If you don’t have that luxury in your space, choose to decorate with objects that add some life to the room.
5. “Stick to the things you really love. An honest room is always up-to-date.” — Billy Baldwin / Interior Designer
Trends can be overrated. Decorate your home with things you actually want, not just things you think you should have.
6. “The quality of the light around us has a profound effect on our well-being that should not be underestimated.” — Thomas Fuchs / Lighting Designer
Several research studies have backed up this quote, with scientists claiming that lighting affects our emotions. In apartments, where some lighting choices are often made for you, the additional lighting you choose for your space can have a big impact on how you feel about it.
7. “My main objective is determining how a space will feel, not how it will look.” — Terry Hunziker / Interior Designer
Now obviously you should care about how your space looks, but you can always switch up aesthetics. More importantly, does your space reflect your personality? Does it put you at ease? Put simply: Does it feel like home?
8. “The more mass produced our homes, furnishings and electronics become, the greater the appeal of handcrafted products.” / Architectural Digest
This gets to the heart of an important issue for apartment dwellers, which is personalizing their spaces. While we aim to make all of our units unique at The High Grove, we’re delighted by how our residents display their senses of style with what they choose to decorate with.
9. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” — Steve Jobs / Entrepreneur
This is crucial to keep in mind, especially in a rented space! Always ask yourself: “It might be pretty, but does it work for me?”
10. “Make your home as comfortable and attractive as possible and then get on with living. There’s more to life than decorating.” — Albert Hadley / Interior Designer
We thought this was the perfect closing quote. Don’t obsess too much about how your apartment looks — take the time to enjoy it.
Do you have any favorite quotes we should add to our list?
Our apartments are surrounded by retail stores that will help you upgrade your interior design experience. Browse our retail directory here.